Maine Brush Fire Claims 2 Campground RVs
Two RVs were destroyed Tuesday (April 14) at Wassamki Springs campground in Gorham, Maine, after a brush fire spread to the campers nearby, according to keepmecurrent.com, Scarborough, Maine.
No one was injured in the fire, which started at about 1 p.m. after debris from a nearby brush fire struck a camper owned by Gordon and Darlene Junkins, setting it ablaze and burning it to the ground, said Gorham Fire Chief Robert Lefebvre.
Fueled by two propane tanks in the Junkinses’ camper, the fire quickly spread to an adjacent camper owned by Gorham Assistant Fire Chief Ken Fickett and his wife, Carla Fickett.
Firefighters from Gorham and Scarborough had both fires out by 2 p.m.
“Nobody got hurt,” Carla Fickett said at the scene. “That is just material stuff that can be replaced. People can’t be replaced.”
The campground was conducting its annual cleaning where it burns piles of brush to get ready for the camping season, campground owner John Hillock said.
“John is really a great guy, and he was so helpful with this,” Carla Fickett said.
Hillock had a permit to burn the brush, Lefebvre said.
“It was just an accident,” Lefevbre said. “The case is closed.”