Packed Agenda for ARVC’S InSites Convention in Orlando
The National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds’ (ARVC) upcoming InSites Convention and Expo in Orlando, Fla., will have more than 20 seminars and panel discussions, plus a tradeshow with more than 120 exhibiting companies.
Participants will have the opportunity to learn how the Disney Co. provides its guests with the ultimate in customer service at its Fort Wilderness campground during the Park Operators on Tour event and through Disney’s “Innovation in Action” behind-the-scenes tour.
“We think this year’s convention will be one of the most informative we’ve ever had,” said Linda Profaizer, ARVC president and CEO.
InSites will be Nov. 9-12 at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando.
Despite the economy, Profaizer said convention enrollment is ahead of last year, both for attendees and vendors, many of whom are facing increasing competition for private park business. InSites attendance is also getting a boost from ARVC marking f the 40th anniversary of Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resorts.
Park operators who arrive in Orlando in advance of the convention will have a chance to participate in two, 8-hour seminars, which are being offered on Sunday, Nov. 8. These special seminars include:
- “What you need to know about OSHA,” a daylong seminar by J.J. Keller & Associates, which specializes in accident prevention. Participants will learn about materials handling, fire safety, hazard communication, blood-borne pathogens, slips trips and falls in addition to learning about the kinds of questions and concerns that should be communicated with OSHA representatives. InSites participants pay only $25 for this seminar, thanks to Evergreen USA, which has underwritten most of the cost of this seminar.
- “FUNdation day of recreation,” a daylong seminar in which park operators learn how to develop their own arts and crafts classes, tie-dye t-shirt classes and other fun recreation programs. The cost of this seminar is $125 and includes lunch as well as arts and crafts materials.
Other seminars that are included in the cost of InSites admission will cover many other areas of interest to campgrounds, RV parks and resorts, including social network marketing; marketing through direct mail; guest game and activity planning; team building strategies; as well as estate and succession planning.
Other important seminars include:
- “The Americans with Disabilities Act,” a 1 1/2- hour seminar by Dr. J.R. Harding, a disability expert, regarding proposed changes in Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations, which are slated to take effect Jan. 1. Participants will have a chance to voice their concerns to OSHA during a public comment period before the new rules take effect.
- “Renewable energy in America,” a seminar led by Howard Boothroyd of Energy Management Partners, Nokomis, Fla., in which park operators will gain a basic understanding of green construction principles so that they can incorporate some of these concepts into an overall business plan.
- “Identity theft and its potentially crippling effect on you as a business owner,” by Gary Quigley, CPO of Kozy Rest Kampground in Harrisburg, Penn.
- “Reducing Resource Usage,” and “Understanding the National Electric Code-Making Process,” both by Wade Elliott of Utility Supply Group.
- “How to protect your trees and your park from invasive insects and diseases of trees,” by Frank Lowenstein of The Nature Conservancy.
- “What public affairs can do for you,” by David Gorin of David Gorin & Associates.
The convention will also feature panel discussions, including a state of the industry panel with Profaizer; Richard Coon, president of the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA); Pat Hittmeier, COO of Kampgrounds of America Inc. (KOA); Vic Nolting, vice chair of Leisure Systems Inc. (LSI); and Ron Beard, CPO of Ron Beard & Associates in Austin, Texas.
Gorin and Aubrey King will also lead an open forum updating the ARVC Public Affairs Program, while Bob MacKinnon of Murrieta, Calif.-based GuestReviews.com will provide an update on ARVC’s GuestReviews program, also in a forum format.
For a complete listing of InSites seminars, panel discussions, networking opportunities and information on participating vendors as well as enrollment forms, please visit www.arvc.org or contact ARVC headquarters at (303) 681-0401