Tennessee Planners Work Out Campground Regs

December 17, 2009 by   - () Comments Off on Tennessee Planners Work Out Campground Regs

Following a Tuesday workshop during which several sticky issues were worked out, the Carter County (Tenn.) Planning Board approved a set of campground regulations and also approved a motion to send the regulations along with stormwater and building codes to the county commission.

The regulations stipulated that a campground will consist of one acre occupied by two campers or more, with at least 30 feet between structures, according to the Elizabethton Star. Each individual campsite will consist of 800 square feet and meet the provisions of the district where it is located. The regulations state that a campground shall be set back 40 feet from any adjoining property line as well, and a loop or other private internal access road shall be built to all sites, providing safe entrance from a public road and exit from the campground.

The planning commission will also be in charge of approving various standards regarding landscaping, privacy fences and other issues relating to campgrounds.

The campground regulations included a ruling that:

  • Recreational vehicles and travel trailers are not to be used as a permanent residence anywhere in the county.
  • All campers are required to follow county trash regulations.
  • Bonfires (larger than an ordinary campfire or grill) are prohibited.
  • Parking spaces shall be 10 feet by 20 feet with at least 4 inches of compacted gravel.
  • Reasonably adequate lighting to provide for safe camping shall be provided as well as buffers to guard against noise pollution.
  • A one-lane road through each campground shall be 11 feet wide with no on-street parking
  • A two-way street shall be a minimum of 18 feet wide with no on-street parking.
  • All roads shall have 4 inches of compacted gravel.

Planning Director Chris Schuettler told the board that state building codes have been changed to increase energy efficiency. He added that the county will eventually need to hire a fire marshal and a building inspector to enforce regulations.


Comments are closed.