County to Limit Park Development to Certain Roads
The Blount County Planning Commission on Thursday (Jan. 28) discussed tightening proposed regulations for commercial campgrounds in the rural areas of the county, according to The Daily Times, Maryville, Tenn.
Under the latest proposal, the campgrounds would be limited to “specific areas deemed significant to tourism, generally the Highway 321 corridor leading to Townsend and the Highway 129 corridor leading to Tallassee.”
There was some discussion about whether the local requirements would be too narrow, but County Commissioner Gary Farmer said other locations could be added to the list later. The proposed regulations could limit campgrounds to these specific roads:
- Lamar Alexander Parkway from Maryville city limits to the Townsend city limits.
- Highway 321 from Townsend city limits to the Blount/Sevier county line.
- Old Tuckaleechee Road around the southern boundary of Townsend.
- Old Walland Highway from intersection with Ellejoy Road to the intersection at Melrose Bridge.
- Highway 129 (Calderwood Highway) from intersection with Six Mile Road to intersection with Happy Valley Road.