Military Campgrounds Great for RVing and Tenting
Military campgrounds are famous for RV camping, but few people know that many offer great tent camping, too.
“I routinely hear that people don’t realize tents are welcome at many military campgrounds,” Larry Farquhar, an Air Force retiree who travels from campground to campground with his wife and maintains the popular MilitaryCampgrounds.us website, told the Air Force Times.
Farquhar’s records show 122 military campgrounds in the U.S. with areas set aside for tent camping.
And some fill up quickly.
“We still have plenty of room on the weekdays, but the weekends are booking up fast, and we’re already filling up for the holiday weekends,” says Steve Zach, who manages the Jim Creek Wilderness Recreation Area campground that shares 4,900 acres with a Navy communications station in Washington state.
Jim Creek is among Farquhar’s picks for great military tent campgrounds that fill up fast.
It and others, including campgrounds voted camper favorites and Farquhar’s favorite off-the-beaten-path locations:
- Camp Atterbury Campground, Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center, Ind.
- Desert Eagle RV Park, Nellis Air Force base, Nev..
- Peregrine Pines Famcamp, Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Fort Sam Houston Recreation Area at Canyon Lake, New Braunfels, Texas.
- Fourth Cliff Family Recreation Area, Humarock, Mass.
- Oak Grove RV Park and Cottages, Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla.
- Pelican Roost RV Park, Naval Station, Mayport, La.
- Jim Creek Wilderness Recreation Area, Jim Creek Naval Radio Station, Arlington, Wash.
- San Onofre Recreation Beach, Campe Pendleton, Calif.
- Uchee Creek Army Campground and Marina, Fort Benning, Ga.
- San Antonio and Pine Canyon Campgrounds, Vanderberg Air Force Base, Calif.
- Camp San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
- Big Bear Recreational Facility, Big Bear, Calif.
- Hurlburt Field Famcamp, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- Clarks Hill Training Center, Plum Branch, S.C.
- Pine View RV Park, Bellemont, Ariz.
- Onslow Beach Campsites and Recreation Area, Camp Lejeune, N.C.