Conn. Gov. Closes 7 State Park Campgrounds
Gov. M. Jodi Rell closed seven state park campgrounds in southeastern Connecticut through noon Saturday (Sept. 4) to protect campers from strong winds and heavy rains expected from Hurricane Earl, the Norwich Bulletin reported.
The state Department of Environmental Protection asked all campers to leave the campgrounds this morning. Campers will be allowed back in Saturday afternoon, unless the impact of the storm or weather conditions require a longer closing.
Campgrounds to be closed:
- Hammonasset Beach State Park, Madison.
- Rocky Neck State Park, East Lyme.
- Hopeville Pond State Park, Jewett City.
- Devil’s Hopyard State Park, East Haddam.
- Salt Rock Campground, Sprague.
- Mount Misery Campground, Pachaug State Forest, Voluntown.
- Green Falls Campground, Pachaug State Forest, Voluntown.