ARVC Honors Top Parks at InSites Convention
The National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (ARVC) recognized the achievements of private parks in seven states during its annual industry awards competition.
The highest honors, called the “Park of the Year” awards, sponsored by the Trailer Life RV Parks, Campgrounds & Services Directory, were given to campgrounds, RV parks and resorts based on several criteria, including customer service, employee training, operational excellence, national directory ratings and community service. Winners included:
- Dogwood Acres Campground, Newville, Pa. (Small Size Park Category).
- Shelby-Mansfield KOA, Shelby, Ohio, (Medium Size Park Category).
- Pine Acres Family Camping Resort, Oakham, Mass., (Large Park Category).
- Lakewood Camping Resort, Myrtle Beach, S.C., (Mega Park Category)
The park that made exemplary efforts to become eco-friendly received the association’s “Plan-It-Green Award.” The winner in this category was:
- Cherry Hill Park, College Park, Md.
Parks recognized for their outstanding marketing and promotional efforts included:
- Sun-N-Fun Resort & Campground, Sarasota, Fla., (Website of the Year Award)
- Padre Dam’s Santee Lakes, Santee, Calif., (Brochure of the Year Award)
- Lakewood Camping Resort, Myrtle Beach, S.C., (Direct Mail Piece of the Year Award)
On the marketing front, awards were also given to state campground associations that produced the best statewide campground directories. Award recipients in this category included:
- The Massachusetts Association of Campground Owners (Medium State Association Category)
- The Florida Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (Large State Association Category)
Top performing state campground association executives were also recognized for their efforts, including:
- Kristy Smith, Ohio Campground Owners Association, (State Executive Director of the Year)
- Scott Sherwood, Connecticut Campground Owners Association, (State President of the Year)
Industry volunteers were also recognized for their exemplary volunteer efforts on behalf of the campground industry. Winners in this category included:
- Gene Zanger, Casa de Fruta Orchard RV Resort, Hollister, Calif., Winner of the Stan Martin Award, the private campground industry’s highest award.
- Jeff Sims, former chairman of the National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds, was presented the Chairman’s Club Award for his volunteer work. Jeff Sims and his wife, Susie, visited over 1,800 campgrounds, RV parks and resorts and traveled over 38,000 miles to promote the association and talk about the benefits of membership.
- Allen Beavers, who just retired as Executive Director of the Connecticut Association of Campground Owners, was the winner of the industry’s Pioneer Award for exemplary service for more than 25 years.
Eric Stumberg, president and CEO of Austin, Texas-based TengoInternet, a wireless Internet or Wi-Fi service provider, was also recognized by the association as its “Supplier of the Year” for going the extra mile on behalf of its customers and the campground industry.
A $5,000 award was also presented to Bakers Acres Campground in Little Egg Harbor Township, N.J. for its creativity in producing a video commemorating the 100th anniversary of the RV industry. This award was sponsored by Evergreen USA.
The winners were announced last week during the association’s annual InSites Convention & Tradeshow, which took place at the Rio All Suites Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
The next InSites Convention & Tradeshow and campground industry awards program will take place Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, 2011, at the Savannah International Convention Center in Savannah, Ga.