TVA Announces March 18 Campground Openings
The Tennessee Valley Authority's 11 seasonal campgrounds on reservoirs throughout the Tennessee River watershed will open for the 2011 recreation season on Friday, March 18, the government agency reported in a news release.
These are in addition to about 70 TVA day-use recreation areas located on dam reservations that are open year-round. Day-use recreation areas are used for hiking, fishing, boating, picnicking, wildlife viewing and swimming.
The season for most campgrounds runs through Nov. 14. Three sites will remain open a month longer through Dec. 12: Douglas Dam Headwater Campground, Douglas Dam Tailwater Campground and Pickwick Dam Tailwater Campground.
Campground opening times and additional information on recreation opportunities on TVA reservoirs are available by calling (800) 882-5263 or visiting www.tva.com/river/recreation.
TVA campgrounds that will open on March 18 are:
- Cherokee Dam Campground – Cherokee Reservoir near Morristown, Tenn.
- Douglas Dam Headwater Campground – Douglas Reservoir near Sevierville, Tenn.
- Douglas Dam Tailwater Campground – Douglas Reservoir near Dandridge, Tenn.
- Foster Falls Campground – Marion County, Tenn.
- Melton Hill Dam Campground – Melton Hill Reservoir near Oak Ridge, Tenn.
- Barton Springs Campground – Normandy Reservoir near Manchester, Tenn.
- Loyston Point Campground – Norris Reservoir near Norris, Tenn.
- Pickwick Dam Tailwater Campground – Pickwick Reservoir near Savannah, Tenn.
- Watauga Dam Tailwater Campground – Watauga Reservoir near Elizabethton, Tenn.
- Mallard Creek Campground – Wheeler Reservoir near Rogersville, Ala.
- Wilson Dam Rockpile Campground – Wilson Reservoir near Muscle Shoals, Ala.