Woman, Pet Rescued from British Columbia RV Fire

May 9, 2011 by   - () 1 Comment

One woman and a pet escaped injury after a fire broke out in a fifth-wheel trailer Saturday (May 7) at the Hazelmere RV Park and Campground in Surrey, British Columbia.

Firefighters were called to the 18843 8 Ave. site around 11:30 a.m.

Witness James Cooper, who is staying at the park, said the 35- to 40-foot trailer suffered extensive damage in the fire, reported.

“The whole rear quarter of the trailer… is gutted,” Cooper said. “There’s actually a hole right through to the roof.”

Cooper said he was on his way out of the park Saturday morning when fire trucks turned in. Looking back, he saw smoke and decided to see what was going on.

Cooper praised park staff and firefighters alike for their quick actions. Staff helped get the resident – who was apparently sleeping when the fire started – out, kept others away from the fire and called for help; firefighters were quick to respond and thorough in their efforts, he said.

Cooper believes the blaze may have started in the trailer’s kitchen. He saw firefighters remove the unit’s refrigerator.

Surrey Fire Services Chief Ron Cross would not hazard a guess on the cause.

“I can’t release anything until the investigation’s completed,” Cross said today.


One Response to “Woman, Pet Rescued from British Columbia RV Fire”

  1. Lynda A. on June 2nd, 2011 4:40 pm

    Just want to make a couple of corrections to your story. I am the person who had the RV fire. I was not asleep at the time and I have 2 small dogs. I smelled the fire and got myself and my dogs out asap and called for my neighbour Rosie. I would like to give a huge Thank You to Rosie my neighbour and Rose from the office for their quick actions helping me and calling the fire department. It was the fridge that caused the fire and I am just Thankful I was home and able to get out safely with my girls. Lynda A.