Quick Work by KOA Staffers at Fire Scene
Quick work by attentive campground workers may have helped minimize fire damage at the KOA campground in Billings, Mont., on Wednesday (July 6).
Billings firefighters responded at about 1:30 p.m. to find an RV with a motorcycle trailer attached engulfed in flames, the Billings Gazette reported.
Jaylea Siroky, 11, of Billings was swimming in the pool with her 7-year-old sister when they saw the smoke.
“We saw big black smoke and huge flames coming from the back,” Siroky said.
Amanda Todd, who works at the campground, said she was eating lunch at a picnic bench when she saw the flames coming from the rear passenger-side corner of the RV.
After calling 911, she and some others tried to put out the flames themselves.
“We grabbed five fire extinguishers and ran as fast as we could and tried to get it out, but it was too big,” Todd said. “We had to stop because of the propane tanks.”
Todd said no one was inside at the time of the fire. She said she saw the owner arrive on scene.