Top

RV Park and Campground Briefs

August 16, 2011 by   - () Leave a Comment

PENNSYLVANIA

From The Citizens’ Voice, Wilkes-Barre:

A 7-year-old boy from Vestal, N.Y., died Saturday (Aug. 13) at a Wyoming County campground when the electric motorcycle he was driving plunged down an embankment.

Wyoming County Deputy Coroner Alan Thatcher confirmed that Micah J. Angel was pronounced dead around 6 p.m. at Tyler Memorial Hospital after suffering neck and head injuries.

Meshoppen Police Chief John Krieg said that the boy and his brother had been staying at the Slumber Valley Campground in Meshoppen Township with a pair of adult friends, Alex and Lesley Reese, also of Vestal, as they had many times in the past.

Chief Krieg said that no one noticed that the youth had left the campsite until a man came running to the campsite screaming about an accident with a motorcycle, which the boy had been told not to play with.

A path showed the bike went through the woods, over an embankment and onto rocks on the Meshoppen Creek bank.

Krieg said that the motorcycle was owned by Alex Reese and that no foul play was suspected.

UTAH

From The Deseret News:

Weber-Morgan Health Officials have found chloroform and E coli bacteria in the water source for two northern Utah camps.

Tests were performed at the Ben Lomond and Shawnee campgrounds after several members of a camping group at Camp Shawnee became sick, Weber-Morgan Health spokesperson Lori Buttars said.

“We didn’t know if we’d had a bad potato salad or the water,” Buttars said, “so we looked at all different things and it did come up that we had some bacteria in the water.”

Buttars said that so far there have been no reports of ill individuals from the Ben Lomond campground, but tests of the water have come back positive. People who have stayed at either camp, whether showing symptoms or not, are encouraged to be cautious and wash their hands before handling food or after using the bathroom.

“People who are carrying the bacteria with them can shed it and spread it for two weeks after the symptoms have subsided,” Buttars said.

Campers are urged to bring their own supply of water for drinking, cooking, cleaning and personal hygiene. According to Weber-Morgan Health, E. coli is a type of bacteria that lives in the intestines of humans. Some strains can cause severe gastrointestinal illnesses, such as cramping, vomiting and diarrhea.

Health officials will continue treating and testing the water until the bacteria is gone, Buttars said

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





Bottom