Leisure Systems Records Solid Growth in 2011
Leisure Systems Inc., franchisors of the Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park Camp-Resorts, and its 77 franchisees registered some healthy numbers in 2011.
In his annual presentation to franchisees during the LSI Symposium Nov. 13-17 in Covington, Ky., Chief Operating Officer Rob Schutter Jr. reported that overall revenues grew 7% in 2011 over 2010, while same-park revenues were up 5%. That’s on top of a strong 2010 when overall revenue rose 11% and same-park income was up 6% from the year before.
Occupancies were up 3% in 2011 with rental units and extended stays showing double-digit growth at 13% each. Store expenditures rose 5% and miscellaneous expenditures rose 6%, Schutter reported.
The report showed solid growth in key areas, despite the overall sluggishness of the U.S. economy during the year.
LSI welcomed six new franchise locations in 2011: Gloucester Point, Va., the Gedicke Family; Harrisville, Pa., the Quigley Family; Milford, Del., the Fannin Family; Pittsfield, Ill., Deb and Ted Festa; Madison, Maine, Alan York; and Montrose, Colo., John Bender.
New franchisees are John and Alyssa Harlan, Natural Bridge, Va., and Henk John and Mary Ann Kuipers, Kingston, Nova Scotia.
Several prospective new members attended this year’s Symposium, which drew all but seven of the system’s 77 franchisees. Attendees attended educational seminars, purchased Yogi merchandise for the coming season and enjoyed the industry camaraderie around the theme “Jellystone Park – Always A Winning Hand.”
Marketing Plans Outlined
Schutter outlined marketing initiatives in 2011 and looked ahead to 2012. In the coming year, he said, LSI will:
- Redesign www.campjellystone.com.
- Increase its PR efforts.
- Use QR codes in advertising.
- Develop a new photo archive for member parks’ marketing.
In terms of merchandise, LSI will make more offerings in toddler, youth and adult apparel to respond to park demands and trends; offer several lifestyle groups of products to help parks purchase coordinated items across product lines; and source more domestic manufacturers for its merchandise
LSI handed out a number of awards. Major award recipients were:
- Entrepreneur of the Year (revenues over $1 million), Waller, Texas
- Entrepreneur of the Year (revenues over $500,000), Burleson, Texas
- Entrepreneur of the Year (revenues under $500,000), Lake Monroe, Ind.
- Operator of the Year (parks under 200 sites), Phil and Analyn Asztalos, Bremen, Ga.
- Operator of the Year (parks over 200 sites), Mike Work, Ryan Work and Tracy Czambel, Mill Run, Pa.
- Franchise System Inspection Leader, “The Carroll Award,” Woodridge, N.Y.
- Jim Webb Spirit Award, Aljets Family, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Maple Leaf Award, Woodstock, New Brunswick
- Facility of the Year (parks under 200 sites), Canyon Lake, Texas
- Facility of the Year (parks over 200 sites), Burleson, Texas
- Camp Resort of the Year, North Java, N.Y.
Special Recognition Awards went to:
- Rookie of the Year – Owner, Alan York, Madison, Maine, and Quigley Family, Harrisville, Pa.
- Rookie of the Year – Manager, Nancee Morris
- Most Improved Inspection, Larkspur, Colo.
- Facility Theming, Larkspur, Colo.
- Landscaping, Bryant Management Properties
- Camp Resort Store Design, North Java, N.Y.
- Camp Resort Comfort Station, Missoula, Mont., North Hudson, N.Y., and Frankenmuth, Mich.
- Internet Website, Knightstown, Ind.
- Brochure Design, Indian River, Mich.
Customer Service Awards went to parks in: Swansea, S.C., Harrisville, Pa., Tabor City, N.C., Grayling, Mich., North Java, N.Y., Luray, Va., Lake Monroe, Ind., Fremont, Ind., Bagley, Wis., Mears, Mich., Woodstock, New Brunswick, Canada, Nashville, Tenn., Indian River, Mich., Woodridge, N.Y., Mill Run, Pa., Canyon Lake, Texas, Cave City, Ky., Austin, Minn., Natural Bridge, Va., Burleson, Texas, Milton, Pa., Estes Park, Colo., Sioux Falls, S.D., Hagerstown, Md., and Frankenmuth, Mich.
Recreation Awards went to parks in: Woodstock, New Brunswick, Swansea, S.C., Fremont, Ind., Harrisville, Pa., Luray, Va., Bagley, Wis., Natural Bridge, Va., Grayling, Mich., Indian River, Mich., Mill Run, Pa., Mears, Mich., Kingston, Nova Scotia, Canada, North Java, N.Y., Milton, Pa., Cave City, Ky., Sioux Falls, S.D., Lake Monroe, Ind., Canyon Lake, Texas, Burleson, Texas, Frankenmuth, Mich., Tabor City, N.C., Knightstown, Ind., Woodridge, N.Y., Cherokee, N.C., and Austin, Minn.