TVA Announces Seasonal Campground Closings
The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) will be closing nine campgrounds for the 2011 season on Nov. 14, while two others at will remain open for another month.
Seasonal campgrounds on Cherokee, Douglas, Melton Hill, Normandy, Norris, Watauga, Wheeler and Wilson reservoirs will close Nov. 14, while Douglas Dam Tailwater Campground and Pickwick Dam Tailwater Campground will remain open through Monday, Dec. 12, according to a news release.
TVA’s day-use recreation areas on dam reservations remain open year-round. Day-use recreation areas are used for hiking, fishing, boating, picnicking, wildlife viewing and swimming.
Additional information on recreation opportunities on TVA-managed reservoirs are available by calling (800) 882-5263 or visiting www.tva.com/river/recreation.
TVA campgrounds that will close on Nov. 14 are:
- Cherokee Dam Campground – Cherokee Reservoir.
- Douglas Dam Headwater Campground – Douglas Reservoir.
- Foster Falls Campground – Marion County, Tenn.
- Melton Hill Dam Campground – Melton Hill Reservoir.
- Barton Springs Campground – Normandy Reservoir.
- Loyston Point Campground – Norris Reservoir.
- Watauga Dam Tailwater Campground – Watauga Reservoir.
- Mallard Creek Campground – Wheeler Reservoir.
- Wilson Dam Rockpile Campground – Wilson Reservoir.
TVA campgrounds that will close on Dec. 12 are:
- Douglas Dam Tailwater Campground – Douglas Reservoir
- Pickwick Dam Tailwater Campground – Pickwick Reservoir
The Tennessee Valley Authority, a corporation owned by the U.S. government, provides electricity for 9 million people in parts of seven Southeastern states at prices below the national average. TVA, which receives no taxpayer money and makes no profits, also provides flood control, navigation and land management for the Tennessee River system and assists utilities and state and local governments with economic development.