Sales Effort Begins for 2013 Good Sam Directory
Invigorated by a new set of marching orders, sales rep teams from the newly merged Trailer Life and Woodall’s campground directories are beginning to fan out over North America to gather data for the 2013 “Good Sam Travel Guide & Campground Directory.”
This new, hybrid campground directory under the Good Sam brand is emerging from the best of both Woodall’s and Trailer Life directories, representing nearly 130 years of combined industry service and campground expertise.
This new directory will offer higher circulation and even more online and mobile application marketing opportunities to campgrounds and parks. This combined directory will utilize the Trailer Life 10/10*/10 rating system, with some enhancements borrowed from the Woodall’s rating system.
The ratings as always will be based on personal visits by the directory representatives. The 41 rep teams (40 couples and one individual) met Jan. 22-27 at the Flamingo Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas, Nev., to review plans for the directory.
“We have some great enhancements for our advertising partners planned for our 2013 directory,” said Ann Emerson, vice president and publisher of the new combined directory. “Not only will we have more exciting marketing tools for parks to connect with avid RVers and campers, we will also expand our number of field teams to permit them to spend more time working with individual parks on their marketing programs.”
Unlike past years, RV parks and campgrounds will be visited by just one sales team to collect data and offer sales opportunities for the directory.
The advertising closing date for the 2013 directory is Aug. 27. The directory will be printed in early December and distribution will begin shortly thereafter.
Based on comments from Emerson, here are some of what are expected to be the most popular offerings for 2013.
In the Printed Directory
- City and State Spotlights – Included in the front of each state and province, this special editorial section will inspire travel to specific geographical regions by detailing popular things to see and do in that region. Parks can choose to be included in this special section by taking an ad for the same price as the listing section of the Directory.
- One-Tank Trips for 2013 – Printed on glossy stock and included in every single copy of the 2013 edition, this special magazine-like section features Good Sam suggested One-Tank Trip routes for RVers. Campgrounds and RV Parks on or near the route can sponsor the route, and have their park information included everywhere the Route is featured, in print and online.
Online at Both www.Woodalls.com
Making things simple online was a priority for 2013. Now advertisers can simply choose the package that suits their needs, be it good, better or best.
- Package 1 – Modeled after Trailer Life Directory’s popular Classic Package, this “Classic Bundle” features the basics that a campground should have to connect directly with Woodall’s and Trailer Life’s 2.5 million unique visitors annually. Some of the popular products included are the Digital Web Ad (the parks’ print ad repeated online), a website link to the park’s website, a logo link and three photos.
- Package 2 – A step up from the “Classic Bundle,” the “Deluxe Bundle” includes all the items in the “Classic Bundle” plus five more great products including “Front of the Line” which allows campground operators to take the No. 1 spot in the search results for a city of their choice, and a Virtual Tour of their park which includes 14 photos set to music.
- Package 3 – For top-notch parks, the “Premier Bundle” is the best a park can buy on www.Woodalls.com and www.TrailerLifeDirectory.com. Six additional products have been added to this bundle above the “Deluxe Bundle,” including a slide show on the Home Page of both sites, a special destination article about the advertiser’s city with their sponsorship and a Rich Media Banner on the Search Results pages – the most popular pages on both websites.
Online at www.GoodSamClub.com
- As a Good Sam Park exclusive, Good Sam Parks only can purchase any of the three bundles mentioned above to be repeated on the www.GoodSamClub.com website, where one in four page views by campers and RVers is on a Campground Search page – that comes out to 8.2 million pages viewed in the campground search section of www.GoodSamClub.com in 2011.
- Perhaps the most exciting addition in the 2013 ad product lineup is the inclusion of several ad products on the Woodall’s/Trailer Life Mobile App. Depending on which bundle is purchased online, the park will get several additional ad products on the mobile app for free. These mobile apps are receiving acclaim in the app world today – with almost 80,000 downloads and 4.5 star ratings out of 5 during the first 6 months alone.
An ‘Everything RV Guide’
On announcing the merger late last fall, Marcus Lemonis, chairman and CEO of Good Sam Enterprises LLC, said, “The consolidation of the two directories into one ‘Super Directory’ will provide our customers with a single source for their RVing and camping travel planning. The coming together of these two brands enables us to serve as more than a directory, and will represent an ‘everything RV guide’ for the consumer to be inspired to fully explore the RV lifestyle across North America.”
(Good Sam Enterprises is also the parent company of Woodall’s Campground Management and www.WoodallsCM.com.)
“This merger will also allow us to drive more business to our RV park and campground advertisers and to our network of Good Sam parks,” continued Lemonis. “We know that our success is predicated on the success of our customers, and combining the strength of the industry’s two leading directory brands is just one way in which we can ensure we are serving the needs of our campground, RV park and resort customers. Advertisers have asked us to consider a unified directory so that they can focus their marketing spend in one powerful vehicle. Thus we made this decision with our park and campground partners very much in mind, to provide them one ‘super directory’ which will be the ultimate marketing showcase for them.”
Other improvements to the 2013 combined directory will include state and provincial points of interest, the RVers “Bucket List” for 2013, tips to improve campers’ RV and camping lifestyle, 10-Minute Tech Tips, RV maintenance advice, how to buy or sell an RV, dealers and service station locations, games, puzzles, recipes, coupons and much more.
The directory will also spotlight the Good Sam RV park and resort network, the largest affiliated park network in North America, featuring more than 1,700 RV parks and resorts where Good Sam members can save 10 percent on nightly camping fees.
Sales reps are beginning to visit parks in the Sunbelt states. Visits to the balance of the continent will begin in the spring.
Legacy Brands to Continue
Both the Trailer Life and Woodall’s brands will continue into 2013 and beyond. Woodall’s regional directory editions will continue to be published in 2013, in an exclusive partnership with AAA. Trailer Life magazine, one of the leading RV enthusiast magazines in the industry, will continue to be published on a monthly basis. Likewise, websites, online directory search and mobile applications will continue to exist for both brands.
The 2013 combined directory will take advantage of the previously separate circulation strategies for each brand. The Woodall’s directory has been distributed through bookstores, mass merchant chains, Camping World stores, RV dealers and campgrounds, while the Trailer Life directory has been primarily distributed to the Good Sam Club members and through Internet sales.
The combined directory in 2013 will utilize both these distribution strategies to reach all the active, affluent RVers and campers that each of these brands reached separately in the past. Campground search tools for the combined directory will also be available at www.TrailerLifeDirectory.com, www.Woodalls.com and www.GoodSamClub.com websites, as well as on campground search mobile applications for both iPhone and Android.