Easter Marks Season Start at Many Jellystone Parks
Summer is nearly three months away, but many families can’t wait until then to visit the Jellystone Park Camp-Resort in Lawrence, Kan.
In fact, dozens of families from Kansas City and the surrounding areas are kicking off the summer camping season on Easter weekend, according to a news release.
“We’re very excited about the special activities we have planned for our campers,” said Nancee Morris, general manager of the Jellystone Park Camp-Resort in Lawrence. “Both Yogi Bear and Boo Boo will be coming out of hibernation to see all their friends. At this time, we still have some sites available, but reservations are coming in every day. We’re hopeful that the public will come out on Saturday for a day of family friendly fun.”
The 100-site park, which features 10 cabins, has activities planned throughout Easter weekend, including Easter egg decorating, an Easter egg hunt, a three-legged bunny hop race, fire truck rides and outdoor movies.
Jellystone Parks are nationally famous for their family friendly activities, which take place most weekends throughout late spring, summer and fall.
But while most activities are geared toward children and teenagers, some Jellystone Parks also have Easter activities specifically for adults, including the Jellystone Park in Hagerstown, Md., which holds separate egg hunts for men and women with about 200 to 300 plastic eggs that are stuffed with coupons that can be redeemed for soda, candy, game room tickets and assorted adult beverages.
Here’s a sampling of what’s being planned at Jellystone Parks in several cities across the country:
- Bremen, Ga.: This park’s Easter egg hunt involves hayrides with an antique tractor and real bunnies. The park is also planning train rides, reptile shows, Easter egg basket decorating and other children’s activities.
- Burleson, Texas: Activities include a fire truck rides, hop-a-thon games, a bunny scavenger hunt and a nighttime flashlight Easter egg hunt for kids 14 and under. Parents will have the option of having Yogi Bear or Boo deliver Easter baskets to their children.
- Canyon Lake, Texas: Activities at this park include crafts and a church service on Sunday.
- Cherokee, N.C.: Guests are invited to bring their pots, pans and horns to wake the bears up from their long winter’s nap on Saturday morning. Easter crafts, relay games and an Easter egg hunt are also being planned.
- Columbia, S.C.: Easter weekend activities at this park include crafts, an Easter egg hunt, an Easter scavenger hunt to help Yogi find his Easter basket, a family movie and Easter sunrise services with Faith Baptist Church.
- Forsyth, Mo: Yogi is scheduled to wake up on Easter weekend. Campers are invited to bring their pots and pans, whistles and other noisemakers to help rustle Yogi out of bed on Saturday morning. Other activities include bunny sack races, crafts and an Easter egg hunt.
- Frankenmuth, Mich.: The city of Frankenmuth mirrors the Osterbrunnen Easter decorating traditions of Franconia, Germany, and decorates the city with thousands of eggs and ribbon. The Frankenmuth Jellystone, for its part, will have an Easter egg hunt, movies, games and crafts.
- Fremont, Ind.: This park will have egg dying and an egg hunt as well as other activities, including bingo, cartoons, wagon rides and free pancakes. Real baby chicks and bunnies will also be on hand.
- Horn Lake, Miss.: This park is planning an egg decorating contest, an Easter egg hunt and various games.
- Lake Charles, La.: Activities at this park include Saturday morning Easter egg coloring as well as traditional Easter egg hunts for younger children. Children and adults can also participate in the park’s flashlight Easter egg hunt in the evening.
- Marion, N.C.: This parks activities include egg coloring and several games, including an egg toss, an Easter egg roll and a bunny sack relay race. A traditional Easter egg hunt and a flashlight Easter egg hunt, both with Yogi and Boo-Boo, are also planned.
- Nashville, Tenn.: This park’s activities include crafts, such as decorating you own Easter basket, egg games and an Easter egg hunt.
- Tabor City, N.C.: This park’s Easter weekend activities include egg coloring and decorating as well as separate Easter egg hunts for children 5 and under and children 6 to 10. A nighttime teen Easter egg hunt is also being planned for 11- to 18-year-olds who come armed with flashlights or glow sticks.