Top

Mosquito Trap Blamed in N.H. Campground Fire

Email This Post Email This Post Print This Post Print This Post

July 13, 2012 by   - () Leave a Comment

A Wednesday night (July 11) fire at the Wakeda Campground near Hampton, N.H., burned a camper in the seasonal park “down to the rails,” Fire Chief Jay Lord said.

The most probable cause of the fire, he said, was lack of maintenance to a propane mosquito trap, seacoastonline.com reported.

“It's still under investigation but that is what we leaning towards,” Lord said Thursday. “There is some maintenance requirement to the (mosquito trap) and that was most likely not done this year.”

Fire crews responded to the campground at about 8:30 p.m. for a reported structure fire. Lord said first responders found a large camper fully engulfed in flames. The fire caused a valve on a propane tank to let go, releasing a “huge amount” of propane, Lord said. He said it looked like a “blow torch.”

Lord said there were exposure problems as the fire threatened to damage a neighboring unit, but the other camper appeared to be OK. The camper that caught fire, however, was destroyed, he said.

“It is a total loss,” he said.

Firefighters had the fire knocked down within 30 minutes after arriving on scene, but were still cleaning up as of 10:30 p.m.

No one was injured fighting the fire and no one was home when the camper went up in flames, Lord said. The two people staying there arrived after crews extinguished the fire and were speaking with an investigator, Lord said.

Lord said crews remained at the scene until about midnight.

Firefighters from Exeter provided mutual aid at the scene, while Seabrook and Kensington provided station coverage, he said.

Wakeda Campground is located a mile off the road and is surrounded by woods. It offers tent and recreational vehicle sites.

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





*

Bottom