California Parks Crafting Good Fall Activities
Camping enthusiasts across California aren’t ready to pack up their tents and RVs just yet.
Neither are the state’s privately owned and operated campgrounds, many of which are filling their September and October weekends with activities ranging from Oktoberfest celebrations to pre-Halloween costume and campsite decorating contests, according to a news release.
“Late September and October are great times for camping because that’s when we have some of our best weather,” said Debbie Sipe, executive director of the California Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (CalARVC), which hosts Camp-California.com, the statewide travel planning website.
She added that campgrounds offer an affordable way for people to have weekend getaways. “Even if you don’t have a tent or RV, many of our affiliated campgrounds have cabins and cottages as well as RV rentals,” Sipe said.
Here’s a sampling of some of the activities taking place at privately owned and operated campgrounds, RV parks and resorts in California this fall:
- Campland on the Bay in San Diego: This park has numerous scheduled activities throughout the fall, including games of capture the flag, dodgeball and pickleball. The park also has arts and crafts classes, tie dye T-shirt classes, kayaking classes and adult dart tournaments.
- Emerald Desert RV Resort in Palm Desert: This park has several special events planned throughout the fall, including a Halloween-themed weekend Oct. 26-28 with Halloween inspired drinks for adults and kids, a pumpkin carving contest and a costume parade to visit decorated campsites.
- Far Horizons 49er Village in Plymouth: This park, which is located in the Sierra Nevada foothills, has a “best scream” contest as well as Halloween costume and campsite competitions scheduled for Oct. 18, 19, 20 and 21 as well as Oct. 25, 26, 27 and 28.
- Flying Flags RV Resort in Buellton: This park, which has RV sites as well as park model cottage rentals, has several activities on-site, including the 3rd Annual Buellton Vintage Trailer Bash held this past weekend. Vintage trailers and vehicles were on display. The event coincided with the 76th Annual Danish Days celebration in neighboring Solvang, which scheduled a parade, street dancing and other Danish-themed activities.
- Golden Village Palms RV Resort in Hemet: This park’s fall activities include classes in water aerobics, water volleyball, Tai Chi, Yoga, as well as groups that regularly gather for arts and crafts and square dancing. Car shows and craft bazaars are scheduled for the first Saturdays of October and November.
- Lake Minden RV Resort in Nicolaus: This Sacramento Valley park’s fall activities include a mystery weekend Oct. 12-14 with a mystery puzzle competition and a mystery scavenger hunt. Hydroplane boat races are scheduled to take place on the weekend of Oct. 19-21. The park is also planning its first ever Halloween Zombie Walk and hayride and Thriller Zombie Mob Dance on the weekend of Oct. 26-28.
- Lake of the Springs RV Resort in Oregon House: This park’s fall activities include a Fall Line Dance Festival Oct. 14-15. The park will also celebrate Halloween on Oct. 27 with campsite decorating, pumpkin carving, costume contests and a kids’ fishing derby, plus a tailgate trick or treating event.
- Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort & Marina in Newport Beach: This park will have Halloween crafts, a parade and costume contest on Oct. 27. The resort also offers bicycle, golf cart, kayak and sailboat rentals in addition to guided kayak nature tours and kayak and sailboat lessons. Resort accommodations include 24 park model cottages and 382 RV sites.
- Palm Springs RV Resort in Palm Desert: This park will have a Halloween parade as well as prizes for the best costumes and best decorating campsite on Oct. 26.
- Rancho Oso RV Resort in Santa Barbara: Guests at this park can watch stock dogs herding sheep and cattle every Saturday. The park also offers a bucking bull demo with “baby” bulls that are being prepared for future work in rodeos. The resort’s accommodations include five rental cabins, plus several covered wagons, which are arranged in a circle around a campfire pit.
- San Benito RV Resort in Paicines: This park’s activities include an Octoberfest celebration Oct. 13 with root beer tasting and an Octoberfest dinner. On Oct. 27 the park will have a Halloween parade followed by a Halloween carnival.
- Santa Cruz KOA in La Selva Beach: This park plans to host “Howlin’ Halloween” events on Oct. 19-21 and Oct. 26-28 with people and pet costume contests, a campsite decorating contest, a haunted house and trick or treating.
- Smithwoods RV Park in Felton: This park plans to host a Halloween spaghetti dinner with Halloween related activities on Oct. 27.
- Springs at Borrego RV Resort in Borrego Springs: This park’s fall activities include Friday night wine tastings. Future events will also include evening star parties with world-renowned astronomer and sky photographer Dennis Mammana on Oct. 6 and Nov. 4.
- Stockton KOA in Stockton: This park is planning a military vehicle collectors weekend on Sept. 19-24 that will include a swap meet with hard to find military collectables.
- Wilderness Lakes RV Resort in Menifee: This park’s fall activities include an Octoberfest celebration Oct. 13 with free German beer to guests over 21 and root beer tasting for kids. A costume contest, pumpkin decorating, trick or treating and a haunted house are slated for the weekend of Oct. 26-28.
Of course, these are just a sampling of some the activities and special events taking place at campgrounds and RV parks across California in the coming weeks. Consumers can find private campgrounds in their area by checking CalARVC's website at www.Camp-California.com.