Stuff About KOA You Might Not Have Known
The following is part of the Kampgrounds of America Inc. package featured in the October issue of Woodall's Campground Management offering some lesser known facts about the company.
Jim Rogers’ Two Careers at KOA
Jim Rogers started his career in the outdoor hospitality business at KOA long before he was named president and CEO in 2000. As a graduate of the University of California-Berkeley, Rogers served as a management trainee at KOA headquarters in Billings, Mont., in 1972. Two years later, he pursued additional training in finance and accounting, earning an MBA from UCLA in 1976. KOA sponsored his master’s thesis on corporate family vacation centers.
Each year, KOA conducts six sessions of KOA University at its Billings, Mont., facility. KOA-U gives new KOA owners the introduction they need to KOA operating systems, marketing programs and support to efficiently operate their KOA campgrounds.
$500,000 to Care Camps Annually
The KOA Care Camps Trust raises more than $500,000 each year to benefit a network of 43 specialized summer camps for children with cancer. KOA's Come Camp & Care With Us Big Weekend in May is the primary fundraiser for the charity, and the official start to the summer camping season.
• Ten years ago, Kampgrounds of America Inc. owned 12 campgrounds in North America. Now, KOA Inc. owns 26 properties.
• KOA has teamed up with BIG4 Holiday Parks of Australia to develop the world's most advanced campground management systems.
• KOA Camper Nights are up more than 2.5 percent in 2012 over the same period in 2011.
• KOA now has more than 2,000 Deluxe Cabins (with bathrooms and kitchens) at more than 300 KOA locations. And there are more than 4,500 rustic KOA Cabins distributed among nearly all KOA campgrounds.
• Internet traffic to the KOA.com website is up nearly 26 percent in visits and 32 percent in unique visitors in 2012.
• Online reservations are up 11 percent in 2012.
• KOA distributes more than 1 million copies of its famous KOA Directory each year.
• "Fan" signups at the KOA Facebook site are up 218 percent in 2012.
• The sale of new members to the KOA Value Kard Reward Program are up 9 percent in 2012.
• More than 100 KOA campgrounds receive marks for customer satisfaction that are higher than the standards set for Marriott Hotels.
• KOA’s innovative Kamp Green program, created in 2008, sets high environmental standards for its campgrounds. To date, more than 115 KOAs have “Kamp Green” approved programs in place.