The Latest RV Park and Campground Briefs

November 27, 2012 by   - () Comments Off on The Latest RV Park and Campground Briefs


From the San Francisco Chronicle:

The Ponderosa Fire, which blackened parts of Tehama and Shasta counties in August, razed 81 outbuildings and 52 homes. It was the state’s most destructive wildfire during a particularly severe fire season, officials said.

The red-flag days came after one of the driest winters on record.

From January to November, wildfires burned about 867,500 acres statewide, including state and federal park and forest lands, said Cal Fire spokesman Daniel Berlant. About 127,000 acres were burned in the same area in 2011. Cal Fire saw 130,000 acres burn in its jurisdiction in 2012 and 56,000 acres burn in 2011.

The fire season officially ended this month in most regions, which means the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection laid off 2,400 seasonal firefighters and began to shutter some rural fire stations, Berlant said.


From the Statesman Journal, Salem:

December is “stocking stuffer” month at Oregon state parks.

Beginning Saturday and running through Dec. 31, parkgoers can save $5 on the state park 12-month day-use parking permit.

The state park permit, which is required at 26 Oregon state parks, is on sale for $25 – regularly $30 – during December.

Visitors who do not have long-term passes must purchase $5 daily permits.

The Oregon Coast Passport also is discounted $5 during the month.

The passport is a multiagency product, valid at Oregon state parks, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service sites along the Oregon coast.

The coastal passports are on sale for $30 – regularly $35 – during December.

Consumers can buy either, along with other gift possibilities such as a 24-month state park day-use parking permit for $50 and gift certificates in any amount, by calling the Oregon State Parks Information Center at (800) 551-6949 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.

Walk-in customers can buy the permits at major department offices, some state park friends’ group stores and selected local businesses throughout the state.

The coastal passports are sold at coastal state parks, federal agency offices and vendors in several coastal communities.



Comments are closed.