49th Annual PCOA Convention 'One of Best Ever'
The 2012 Pennsylvania Campground Owners Association Convention will go down in the history books as one of the best ever.
"There was an excitement in the air. The facility was perfect, the seminars were awesome, everyone had a great time and the networking was phenomenal," Bev Gruber, PCOA executive director reported in a news release.
The 49th annual convention was held Dec. 3-5 at the Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel in State College, Pa.
Over 170 people from 73 Pennsylvania campgrounds and one out-of-state campground attended. Also attending were two prospective campground owners and three associates.
The keynote speaker, Paul Bambei president and CEO of the National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (ARVC), left everyone energized with his talk about “Building Bridges" and citing the benefits of belonging to ARVC, Gruber stated.
12 Seminars and Trade Show
PCOA sponsored 12 educational seminars, and 71 exhibitors were present for the trade show. They reported excellent sales.
The Pennsylvania Auction raised funds for scholarships to fund educational scholarships and the National School of RV Park and Campground Management. Thanks to the generosity of the vendors and campground owners, a total of $11,691.50 was raised.
PCOA handed out several awards for communications. Winners were:
- Best Promotional Piece – Meadville KOA, Meadville, Pa.
- Best Brochure – Meadville KOA, Meadville, Pa.
- Best Apparel Item – Old Mill Stream Campground, Lancaster, Pa.
- Best Souvenir – Rose Point Park Campground, New Castle, Pa.
- Best Camping Photo – Keen Lake Camping and Cottage Resort, Waymart, Pa.
- Most Creative Activity – Rocky Springs Campground, Mercer, Pa.
- Best Website – Mountain Vista Campground, East Stroudsburg, Pa.
- Best Example of Guest Service – Mary Turley at Mountain Vista Campground, East Stroudsburg, Pa. Tourism Employee of the Year – Sarah DeLorenzo, Benner’s Meadow Run Campground, Farmington, Pa. Community Involvement – Dogwood Acres Campground, Newville, Pa.
On Sunday, prior to the convention, 27 people went to the Penn State campus to visit the Berkey Creamery. A very interesting and informative tour of the facility was given by Robert Lumley-Sapanski, Penn State Food Science Department staff member. After the tour, everyone enjoyed the creamery’s delicious ice cream and many purchased dairy items to take home.
Annual Meeting & Election
Our annual meeting was attended by 45 campgrounds. The following officers were elected:
- Director Region I – Matt May, Presque Isle Passage Campground.
- Director Region II – Deene Yehchochic, River’s Edge Camping & Cabins (second term).
- Director Region III – David Mull, Shady Brook Campground.
- Director Region IV – Ryan McFarland, Buttonwood Campground.
- Director Region V – Tim Cartmell, Honesdale/Pocono KOA (second term).
- Director Region VI – Shane Adam, Mountain Springs Campground.
- Appointed: Director at Large – Debby Yeager, Rose Point Park Cabins & Camping, New Castle, Pa.