Hoosier County Touts Campground Upgrades
Improvements at several campgrounds within Southern Indiana's Spencer County are among the 2012 highlights from the county's visitors bureau.
As a new year begins, the Spencer County Visitors Bureau reported in a news release that investment by local businesses helped pave the way for a successful tourism season.
More lodging choices, a new water coaster, some additions and improvements in historical attractions, and a new marketing promotion helped make 2012 one of the most successful years for attracting visitors to the county.
Camping or lodging highlights of the past year include:
- A new lodging facility, NorthStar Vacation Rentals, opened in Santa Claus.
- Six additional "Rudolph's Christmas Cabins" and 67 new golf carts were added at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort.
- Two new cottages and an outdoor pool with a splash pad were added at Santa’s Cottages.
- Mammoth, the world's largest water coaster, was added at Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari along with two new special events: Happy Halloween Weekends and Rock the World Christian Music Festival.
- A new playground was added to the cabin campground area inside Lincoln State Park.
- A new seasonal campaign was launched by the Visitors Bureau. Fall-O-Weekends promoted weekend packages in September and October, resulting in more than 100 overnight visits booked.
"2012 was a great year of growth and it's wonderful to see local tourism continue to expand and improve," said Melissa Brockman, executive director of the Spencer County Visitors Bureau. "The investment made by local tourism businesses is helping Spencer County become even more popular as a family destination."