Taco Pinpoints Parks With Winter Openings
At least 23 Texas campgrounds, RV parks and resorts still have room for winter visitors. Some even have park model cabins available.
“We’ve reached out to our members and identified parks that have immediate availability for Winter Texans,” said Brian Schaeffer, executive director and CEO of the Texas Association of Campground Owners (TACO).
Parks that still have vacancy for short- and long-term winter visitors include:
• Alamo Palms RV Resort in Alamo: This gated park has numerous activities, including water volleyball, cribbage, pinochle, yoga, quilting, tennis, wood carving and various types of dancing, such as line dancing, square dancing and round dancing. The park itself is surrounded by palm trees and citrus groves. www.rvonethego.com
• Brookeland Lake Sam Rayburn KOA in Brookeland: This park is biker friendly and equipped with a “Kamping Kitchen” for rallies, reunions, get-togethers and large family cookouts. The park is also horse friendly and offers covered horse stalls and over 200 acres to ride and enjoy. Canoe, paddle boat and kayak rentals are also available. www.koa.com
• Corpus Christi RV Resorts in Corpus Christi: This is a network of parks in the Corpus Christi area, including Colonia del Rey RV Park, a Best Parks in America affiliate; Padre Palms RV Park; and Greyhound RV Park. www.ccresorts.com
• Crockett Family Resort in Crockett: This is a full-service RV park with a marina and cabins. Centrally located between Houston and Dallas, the family owned park is nestled on a trophy bass lake. www.crocketresort.com
• Farm Country RV Park in Bandera: This park is located on a 365-acre Hill Country stock farm, which is surrounded by 2,000 acres of undeveloped land. As a result, there are opportunities to see various types of wildlife, including whitetail deer, wild turkeys, armadillos, roadrunners and painted buntings, an exotic bird. Park guests and can also pick and purchase their own fresh fruits and vegetables from the park’s “Kitchen Garden” www.farmcc.com
• Fun N Sun RV Resort in San Benito: This park, which is close to South Padre Island, offers activities and entertainment year round. Monthly and seasonal sites are available. www.rvonthego.com
• Hill Country RV Resort and Cottage Rentals in New Braunfels: This park has furnished cottages and cabins, free Wi-Fi and cable TV, a game room with bumper pool, air hockey, Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox and other games. The park also offers a jumping pillow and aero ball for kids as well as pedal karts and a Gaga pit. www.hillcountryrvresortnb.com
• La Feria RV Park in La Feria: This park has large pull through sites, two heated swimming pools and whirlpool hot tub spas, a large recreation hall, pool tables and horeshoe pits. www.viplaferia.com
• Lake Athens Marina & RV Park in Athens: This 28-acre park has a new pavilion with two meeting rooms with kitchens, a laundromat, showers and a large deck. The marina also has a bait shop and restaurant that serves hamburgers and hand-battered catfish. www.lakeathensmarina.com
• Lake Medina RV Resort in Lakehills: Located on a 700-acre working ranch, this park offers shaded sites, horseback riding, fishing and other water activities as well as china painting, sewing, quilting, a leather shop and a woodworking shop. www.lmrvresort.com.
• Mockingbird Hill RV Park in Burleson: This park is close to Benbrook Lake, which offers boating and fishing opportunities, and the Hidden Creek Golf Course. www.mockingbirdrvpark.com
• River Ranch RV Resort in New Braunfels: This park has both pull-thru and back-in sites as well as waterfront sites with a view of the river. www.riverranchtexas.com
• Roadrunner RV Park in Johnson City: This park, located in the Texas Hill Country, is close to Stonewall, site of the LBJ Ranch and Presidential Office in the Texas White House. Visitors can learn about the Johnson Family, the Texas White House and see the president's cars in the hangar. In Johnson City, visitors can tour the home where LBJ grew up. Fireworks displays are also available nearby. www.roadrunnerrvparktexas.com
• Sunset Point RV Resort in Marble Falls: This 20-acre waterfront resort is located on the north shore of Lake LBJ at Wirtz Dam, two miles west of Marble Falls and 60 miles from Austin. www.sunsetpointlbj.com
• Sunshine RV Resort in Harlingen: This park features RV sites as well as park model rentals. Amenities include a fitness center, clubhouse, dining and banquet facilities, a ballroom, card rooms, a billiard room and a Petanque game court. Resort activities include arts and crafts, ceramics, wood carving, co-ed water aerobics, weekly dances and jam sessions. www.rvonthego.com
• Texarkana KOA in Texarkana: This park features a 20-minute wildscape trail as well as an RV art gallery and sells notecards, magnets, books, videos, jewelry, clothes and other collectible items that celebrate the RV lifestyle. The park is also offering 15 percent off its regular rates for 30-day stays in March and April. www.koa.com
• Texas Lakeside RV Resort in Port Lavaca: This gated, rally friendly park has a stocked fishing lake, waterfront sites and a club house with kitchen facilities. www.texaslakesidervresort.com
• Triple T RV Resort in Kerrville: This pet-friendly park offer free satellite TV, computer and business services, a recreation center with a TV lounge, a catering kitchen and dining area, an exercise room, pool and ping pong tables and a large stocked library with a sitting area. The park also has walking trails. www.tripletrvresort.com
• Valley Gateway RV Park in Edinburg: This park offers organized activities in its clubhouse, including card games, shuffleboard, ping-pong and billiards as well as occasional dances. The park also has native oaks, palms, ash and orange trees. www.valleygatewayrvpark.com
• The Vineyards Campground & Cabins in Grapevine: Many of this park’s weekly sites are available at this time of year. The park is located between Dallas and Fort Worth along the southeastern shore of Grapevine Lake. www.vineyardscampground.com
• Victoria Palms RV Resort in Donna: This park offers dance classes as well as dancing to live and recorded music during the winter months. New improvements at Victoria Palms include revitalizing the ballroom with an expansion of the stage, installation of new stage lighting and a new high-tech sound system. The park has also invested heavily into improving its landscaping throughout the park with a new look a. www.rvonthego.com
• Watts RV Park in Gilmer: This park has four fully stocked fishing ponds, pet walking areas and barbecue pavilions as well as a clubhouse, event hall, pool and community building.
• Woodsy Hollow Campground in Goodrich: Centrally located between Houston and Nacogdoches, this park features a private lake, a swimming pool as well as opportunities to walk, hike and bike in the woods.
TACO publishes and distributes the Texas RV Travel & Camping Guide each year. For more information about the 2013 directory or for statistics involving the latest camping trends in Texas and New Mexico parks, contact Brian Schaeffer at (817) 307-0129 or visit www.texascampgrounds.com and www.texascabinrentals.net