Rogers at Ind. KOA on Big May Weekend
The weekend of May 10-11 is going to be a big one at the Kampgrounds of America Inc. (KOA) campground in Middlebury, Ind.
KOA CEO Jim Rogers, who starred in an episode of the hit CBS reality series “Undercover Boss” in January, will be at the campground all weekend to visit with campers and screen the KOA “Undercover Boss” episode.
May 10-11 is also KOA's 10th Annual KOA Care Camps Big Weekend event, with all campers staying as paying guests Friday, May 10, receiving a free night of camping Saturday, May 11.
“I can’t wait to come to the Elkhart County/Middlebury KOA to help our campers get a great start on their summer camping season,” Rogers stated in a news release. “We’re going to have a ton of fun, and I know owner Hope Perkins has a full weekend of great activities planned that will certainly make it a weekend to remember.”
The Care Camps' Big Weekend event is also the major fundraising event for KOA Care Camps, a network of 52 specialized summer camps around North America for children with cancer. Donations raised during the weekend will go to fund the camps, which are completely free for participating children. The kids are given a free week of summer camp, while still being able to continue their treatment and their recoveries.
“KOA Care Camps are very dear to my heart, and I’m so proud that my campers are able to help out these special children at a time when they really need the relief that at Care Camp brings,” said Perkins. “For thousands of children each summer, KOA Care Camps are an important part of their cure.”
Events at the campground during the May 10-11 Care Camps Big Weekend Event include:
Friday, May 10
- All mothers will receive a free carnation when they arrive, to honor them for Mother’s Day Weekend.
- Friday evening, there will be an ice cream social hosted by KOA Rogers. Campers will hear about the work at KOA Care Camps, and then have a chance to view the KOA episode of “Undercover Boss” and get “the scoop” about the show from Rogers.
Saturday, May 11
- From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., there will be a vendor and craft fair, with everything from baked goods to temporary tattoos, local craft and “buzz cuts.” All vendor booth fees and auction items will be donated to KOA Care Camps.
- At 10 a.m., there will be crafts for the kids, including tie-dying T-shirts.
- From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., there will be a live radio broadcast.
- At 11 a.m., there will be a fishing tournament.
- At 4 p.m., campers can sign up for their bid paddles for the silent auction.
- At 4:30 p.m., there will be a Haystack Supper.
- At 6 p.m., there will be a Silent Auction and Live Auction, complete with ice cream and popcorn.
Sunday, May 12
- Church services at 8:30 a.m.
- Pancake breakfast from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.