Top

Texas RV Park Upgrade Gets Zoning Go-Ahead

Email This Post Email This Post Print This Post Print This Post

May 7, 2013 by   - () Leave a Comment

The Abilene Planning & Zoning Commission on Monday (May 6) unanimously approved a zoning amendment that permits long-term RV stays at a travel trailer park near Lake Fort Phantom Hill in West Texas.

The commission’s vote is solely a recommendation to the Abilene City Council, which ultimately will decide on the fate of the amendment. The council is scheduled to consider the first reading of this item May 20, according to the Abilene Reporter-News.

The roughly three-acre park, located at 497 Cheyenne Circle, is being leased from the city — with the option to purchase upon all zoning and development issues being resolved — by Gary Cheek. In Cheek’s plans to upgrade the park, he requested planned development changes to suit his needs for the travel trailer park.

One of Cheek’s requests is that 75% of the park’s trailers are allowed to stay up to 12 months before leaving for a minimum of 60 days before a return and the other 25% of trailers allowed to stay up to three months before being required to leave for 30 to 60 days before a return.

The commission did not set an exact return time for three-month-stay trailers.

The city’s current vacation travel trailer regulation permits an RV to stay up to three months in a 12-month period, city staff said at the meeting

Commission member Bruce Bixby said the commission’s ruling on this amendment’s term of stay would be important to possible revisions to citywide RV regulations.

“Because of the activity in the oil fields, we probably have more pressure on us to deal with this type of issue,” Bixby said.

Jon James, city Planning & Development Services director, said the commission isn’t bound by this particular amendment change in future RV ordinance decisions.

Member Gary Glenn said providing the option of long-term stay for RVs is crucial for those who relocate to Abilene for work.

“They are going to spend money in our city. They’re not going to affect the hotel/motel (tax rates) because they don’t stay in a hotel or motel,” Glenn said. “They bring their homes with them.”

In a 6-0 vote, the commission favored the amendment changes, including the length of stay for RVs. Commission member Clint Rosenbaum, who was present at the meeting, was not in the room for the vote.

 

 

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





*

Bottom