Top

Latest Briefs for RV Parks and Campgrounds

June 28, 2013 by   - () Leave a Comment

WASHINGTON

From The Associated Press:

Washington lawmakers reached a long-sought accord on a new state budget Thursday (June 27) and hurried to schedule votes that would avert a state government shutdown.

Such a shutdown would have closed state parks and fishing in Pacific County just before the summer’s first huge tourist weekend.

Gov. Jay Inslee said in a news conference, flanked by lawmakers from both parties, that the Legislature is hoping to approve the measure before state employees leave work today. Political leaders declined to discuss details of the plan and declined to make the $33.6 billion spending proposal available for public review.

“The deal reached today makes it clear that state government will continue to operate,” Inslee said.

IOWA

From from KWQC-TV, Davenport, Radio Iowa and the Telegraph Herald, Dubuque:

The Scott County Conservation Board says due to flooding, the Buffalo Shores Campgrounds will be closed for safety reasons, effective today (June 28).

The board expects the closure to last at least through the 4th of July weekend, due to the current river projections.

Campers can still use Scott County facilities at West Lake Park and Scott County Park, which are open and unaffected by flooding.

Meanwhile, due to the rising Mississippi River levels, Miller Riverview Park will not be open for the July 4 holiday.

The river peaked on Thursday at approximately 20.7 feet, and it will take several days for the water to go down, and then several more days for the area to dry out before cleanup can begin.

All campers with July 4 holiday reservations will be sent refund checks in the mail within the next two weeks.

The opening date for the Miller Riverview campground has again been delayed until further notice.

Rising river waters could force state officials to close portions of the Wapsipinicon State Park near Anamosa sometime today and, depending on the damage, those areas would remain closed for the 4th of July weekend. Iowa Department of Natural Resources spokesman Kevin Baskins says a wedding planned in the park may have to be moved or rescheduled.

State officials say the George Wyth State Park near Waterloo may reopen July 1 “if conditions allow.” The campground in the Yellow River State Forest near Harpers Ferry in the far corner of northeast Iowa has been heavily damaged by flooding and state officials aren’t sure when it may reopen.

FLORIDA

From the Orlando Sentinel:

A year ago, the Florida Legislature agreed to allow advertising along state-owned greenways and trails. Some supporters of state parks accused Gov. Rick Scott of selling an important aspect of public lands to the highest bidder and warned that the legislation would diminish hiking in serene, uncluttered natural habitats.

However, since the law took effect on July 1, 2012, no signs have gone up. Actually, not a single business or nonprofit group has applied to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection to sponsor a trail or greenway, DEP spokesman Patrick Gillespie said in an email.

Part of the reason for the delay is that sponsorship rules have yet to be set by the agency — and it is not known if they will ever be. “The bill gives the department authority and discretion to determine how to move forward,” Gillespie said. “At this point, staff is evaluating how to proceed.”

State lawmakers dictated that 85% of any profits from state-park ads were to go toward upkeep of the greenways and trails, with the remaining 15% to fund the state Department of Transportation’s Bicycle Safety Program.

 

 

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





Bottom