Ocean Lakes to Host 15th Bluegrass Weekend
Ocean Lakes Family Campground, a division of The Jackson Cos., will host the 15th Annual Premier Bluegrass Weekend on Friday, Aug. 23, and Saturday, Aug. 24.
The event is open to all guests staying at the campground. With performances scheduled from some of the top names in Bluegrass music, tickets are selling fast, according to a news release.
Performances will be held in the air-conditioned Recreation Center on Friday, from 4 p.m. until 10 p.m., and Saturday, from 2 p.m. until 9 p.m. Wristbands are valid for both days and can be purchased in advance. The cost to attend is $45 for adults, $20 for children 6-12, and admission is free for children under 6. Ticket prices do not include site fee. Starting Friday, Aug. 23, tickets will be $50 for adults and $20 for children.
Campsite reservations can be made by calling (877) 510-1413, or for house rental reservations, (800) 845-2229. When making reservations, let the reservationist know you are coming in for the Bluegrass Weekend. Tickets can be purchased online at www.oceanlakes.com or by calling the ticket hotline at (843) 828-4856.
Some of the top names in Bluegrass will be performing:
- Rhonda Vincent & The Rage (Saturday, Aug. 24) – Considered by many as the "Queen of Bluegrass," she has received a variety of awards, including "Female Vocalist of the Year" by the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) for three years in a row.
- The Larry Stephenson Band (Friday, Aug. 23) – Respected as one of Bluegrass music's finest voices, he has received numerous awards including "Mandolin Player of the Year" and "Male Vocalist of the Year" (five times) by Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music Association (SPBGMA).
- Blue Highway (Saturday, Aug. 24) – Throughout their 17 years, Blue Highway has received two Grammy nominations, a Dove Award, and won numerous awards from IBMA and the SPBGMA.
- Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice (Friday, Aug. 23) – They have received a variety of awards. This year, the SPBGMA honored the group with three awards: "Album of the Year," "Song of the Year," and Junior Sisk was named "Male Vocalist of the Year" (contemporary).
- Bluegrass Brothers (Saturday, Aug. 24) – Known for their traditional Bluegrass sound, they were named the SPBGMA "Instrumental Group of the Year" in 2010.
- The Grass Cats (Saturday, Aug. 24) – Known for their exciting live performances and critically acclaimed recordings, they play traditional Bluegrass as well as "covers" of songs from artists as diverse as Eric Clapton, Duke Ellington and Johnny Cash.
- Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road (Friday, Aug. 23) – Two-time winners of the IBMA's "Recorded Event of the Year" award, they are known for their traditional sound. Lorraine Jordan is also known for her hard-driving mandolin style, and is affectionately known as the "Lady of Tradition."
- Mark Templeton & Pocket Change (Friday, Aug. 23) – They are well-known for their "Bluegrass Instrumentation" and their unique "Southern Gospel Style Harmony."
"We are excited to have eight premier Bluegrass entertainers at Ocean Lakes this year," said Barb Krumm, director of marketing and public relations at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. "Guests look forward to and plan for this event all year long. Not only will there be some of the best Bluegrass music around, we also have some fun activities planned. We encourage purchasing tickets as soon as possible to ensure campground guests won't miss out on this fun-filled weekend."
For more information about Ocean Lakes, visit www.oceanlakes.com, follow on Twitter or "like" the campground on Facebook.