Sand Dune Swallowing Survivor Faces Rehab

Email This Post Email This Post Print This Post Print This Post

July 18, 2013 by   - () 1 Comment

The National Park Service is investigating what caused a hole in an Indiana dune that swallowed a 6-year-old boy, trapping him for more than three hours beneath 11 feet of sand before rescuers could reach him, The Associated Press reported.

Geologists theorize that a long-buried tree trunk decomposed and created the void — and possibly an air pocket that kept the boy alive — in the dune known as Mount Baldy, and hope to use ground-sensing equipment to peer beneath the surface, said Bruce Rowe, a ranger at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Nathan Woessner of Sterling, Ill., was unresponsive when he was found last Friday (July 12), but began breathing en route to a waiting ambulance. He remained in critical but stable condition Wednesday at Comer Children's Hospital in Chicago, where doctors said he is expected to make a full neurological recovery, though he may suffer lingering lung problems from inhaling sand.

"At this point, we still don't know what caused the hole," Rowe said, though the tree theory seems plausible because the dune moves about 4 to 10 feet a year and "it's covered a lot of trees."

"We've never seen evidence of a hole associated with it," Rowe said.

Rescuers found decayed bark when they reached Nathan, shortly after one of them inserted a probe into the sand in an area that looked like the outline of a tree trunk. A tree was not found, though "quite a bit of bark" was, leading to speculation that the sand many feet below the surface might have been wet enough to hold the shape of a long-decayed trunk, Rowe said.

"But there certainly is no conclusion that we can draw at this point," he said.

Rowe said a team of geologists and others will meet today to discuss what equipment could be used to scan the dune and determine the next steps in the investigation.

Mount Baldy will be closed indefinitely, he said. About two-thirds of the dune already was roped off to try to keep visitors from trampling native dune grasses and other vegetation that had been planted to help keep the sand in place, Rowe said. The dune historically moved about 4 feet southward each year, but in recent years has moved 10-12 feet, he said.

The 123-foot-tall Mount Baldy is the tallest of the dunes at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, which runs for about 25 miles along the southern shore of Lake Michigan and attracts families, hikers and birdwatchers.

Nathan was climbing the dune with an 8-year-old friend and their fathers last Friday when the friend yelled that Nathan had disappeared. Rescuers used backhoes, shovels and their hands to reach the boy.

Doctors have said Nathan could be taken off a ventilator by the end of the week and released from the hospital within two weeks, but may need another month in a rehab facility.


[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]


One Response to “Sand Dune Swallowing Survivor Faces Rehab”

  1. web site on July 20th, 2013 6:59 pm

    Thanks for finally talking about > Sand Dune Swallowing Survivor
    Faces Rehab | Woodall's Campground Management < Liked it!

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!