California Parks Active over Holiday Weekend
Campgrounds across California are gearing up for Labor Day weekend with a variety of activities that range from arts and crafts activities for children to outdoor salmon and chicken barbecues. Some parks also offer live entertainment and outdoor movies.
But while many campgrounds are sold out for the holiday weekend, Camp-California.com has compiled a statewide listing of campgrounds, RV parks and resorts that still have spaces available, according to a news release.
“Most campgrounds are offering activities for people of all ages,” said Susanne White, a spokeswoman for the California Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds, which hosts Camp-California.com, a statewide travel planning website.
Camp-California.com includes travel information and links to privately owned and operated campgrounds all over California as well as an updated list of campgrounds that still have vacancy over Labor Day weekend.
To find them, click on the “Discover California” tab on the upper left section of the Camp-California.com homepage. Then click “Places to Go” and click on “Labor Day Weekend” to find a listing of campgrounds, RV parks and resorts with holiday weekend vacancy.
As of Monday (Aug. 26), several campgrounds across California still had vacancy, including:
- Barstow/Calico KOA in Yermo: This park has RV and tent sites. Labor Day weekend activities include a Saturday pancake breakfast and a Saturday night movie. The park offers a free shuttle service to Calico ghost town. www.koa.com
- Butterfield Ranch Resort in Julian: This park has RV and tent sites and three swimming pools. Arts and crafts for kids are planned for children. Stay two nights over Labor Day weekend and get the third night free. www.butterfieldresort.com
- Castaic Lake RV Park in Castaic: This park is one half mile away from the lower lake, while the upper lake is two miles away. Castaic Lake is open for boating, fishing, picnics and swimming. Six Flags Magic Mountain is five minutes from the park. www.castaiclakervpark.com
- Champagne Lakes RV Resort in Escondido: This park has both RV and tent sites as well as three catch and release fishing lakes. www.champagnelakesrvresort.com
- Coachland RV Park in Truckee: Enjoy the clean, fresh, mountain air away from urban crowds and smog. Located on 30 acres, there is plenty of open space and an abundance of natural beauty within’ the park premises. Wildlife is attracted to the seasonal stream which runs through the park and deer often frequent the ball field. www.coachlandrvpark.com
- Emerald Desert RV Resort in Palm Desert: This park will have a barbecue pool party on Friday night with a dinner, dance and live music. Saturday activities will include kids games and a pajama party with pizza, movies and crafts at night. A pool party is being planned for Sunday. www.emeralddesert.com
- Far Horizons 49er Village in Plymouth: This park will celebrate Labor Day weekend by hosting its 34th annual Kids Day Games. www.49ervillage.com
- Flying Flags RV Resort in Buellton: Activities at this park include hay rides, a barbecue and poolside DJ and outdoor movies. www.flyingflags.com
- Gold Country Campground Resort in Pine Grove: This park is planning a Western themed weekend with activities, crafts and games. www.goldcountrycampground.com
- Kamp Klamath in Klamath: This park has RV and tent sites. Labor Day weekend activities include an all you can eat barbecue with chicken or salmon, stir fry vegetables and salad for $14.95. Live music and dancing will also be provided. www.kampklamath.com
- Meadowcliff RV Resort in Coleville: Meadowcliff Lodge was originally built as a 10-room motel in 1959 and has spacious rooms that are twice the size of today’s hotel rooms. The lodge also has separate, fully stocked kitchens, which families can rent so they can prepare their own meals. Meadowcliff also has its own restaurant, which is frequented by guests as well as travelers and local residents from nearby communities. The park has a Labor Day weekend special. Spend three nights and get the fourth free. www.meadowcliff.com
- Mountain Gate RV Park in Redding: This park’s Labor Day weekend activities include a Labor Day picnic with a bonfire and Karaoke. www.mt-gatervpark.com
- Oceanside RV Park in Oceanside: This park has both RV and tent sites. Nearby attractions include the California Surf Museum and the San Luis Rey Mission. www.oceansidervpark.com
- Rancho Oso Guest Ranch, Santa Barbara: Families that stay at this campground can go horseback riding and spend the night in covered wagons, which are arranged in a circle around a campfire pit, just like in the days of the pioneers. The resort has RV spaces and park model cabin rentals. You can see the covered wagons and other photos on the park’s website: www.rvonthego.com/ca
- River Oaks Resort in Lewiston: This park, located along the Trinity River, is offering 50 percent off for disabled veterans on stays of up to seven days. www.riveroaksresort.com
- San Diego RV Resort in La Mesa: This park has RV sites. A Labor Day weekend barbecue is planned from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday, with hot dogs, hamburgers and refreshments. In addition to having a heated pool and spa, state-of-the-art exercise facilities and a pet walking area, this park has its own trolley stop on San Diego’s Trolley Line. The park has also developed a five-day Trolley travel itinerary that includes visits to the San Diego Zoo, Seaworld, Balboa Park, Seaport Village, the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, Old Town San Diego and the beaches of Coronado Island. Other Labor Day weekend events include the Festival of Sails, a Beer and Reggae Festival and the U.S. Sand Sculpting Contest. www.sdrvresort.com
- Soledad Canyon RV Resort & Campground in Acton: This park will have poolside activities and games, face painting and free cotton candy and snow cones for the kids. www.rvonthego.com/ca
- Springs at Borrego RV Resort in Borrego Springs: Located next to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, this park offers championship golf, tennis, swimming pools and hot mineral baths as well as classes in yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, water aerobics during the winter season. www.springsatborrego.com
- Victorville Shady Oasis in Victorville: This park has both RV and tent sites. Labor Day weekend activities include Saturday and Sunday bingo in the afternoons with kids’ movies and live music in the evenings. http://shadyoasis.tripod.com
- Yanks RV Resort in Greenfield: This is a new park that opens this weekend. Nearby events include the Monterey County Fair. www.yanksrvresort.com
- Yreka Trailer & RV Park in Yreka: This park has 102 RV sites, 82 of which are pull through. www.yrekarvpark.com
For more information on camping opportunities in California, visit www.Camp-California.com.