S.C. Campground Has Long Fall History
John Trigg was the son of a toy seller before big-box retailers put the independent toy shop operator out of business. When the business died, Trigg’s father, Tracy, started selling big-boy toys – recreational vehicles and equipment for other outdoor pursuits.
Son followed father into the business at Tracy Trigg RV in Matthews, N.C. In 1986 John Trigg branched out, purchasing the campground on Gold Hill Road west of Fort Mill, S.C., according to The Herald of Rock Hill, S.C.
A meeting with some permanent residents of the campground in 1994 forever changed Trigg.
They wanted to have a Halloween event for the dozen or so children who lived at the campground. Trigg cleaned out an old house on the property. The house was at least 107 years old at the time. Trigg found a predecessor of The Herald dated March 1, 1887 glued to the wall.
He turned the house into a maze and opened it to the public. In just four days, the event drew about about 750 people.
The next year Trigg added more to the attraction. Soon his passion became toys of terror.
His simple Halloween haunt has turned into three acres of twisty trails that attract thousands of visitors annually.
For the full story, click here.