Campground Owners Fighting Local Fire Ban
The owners of a British Columbia campground want Comox town officials to lift a fire ban which they argue sends campers to their competition outside of town.
Cape Lazo RV and Campground operators Shirley and Dave Harvey are asking the Comox council to permit them to have campfires earlier in the year instead of just allowing them only when the open-fire ban is lifted between June 15 to Sept. 15, the Comox Valley Echo reported.
The Harveys told council that they are losing “significant revenue” in the months of May and June when open fires are banned.
“This puts us at a distinct disadvantage to our competitors, who are able to have fires during these months,” the owners said in their letter to council. “Many campers chose the competition over us as a direct result of the dates of this fire ban bylaw. The competition is all outside of the Town of Comox in the regional district. We believe that the loss of these customers affects the economic activity of the whole town in a negative way.”
They want the town to expand the dates fires are allowed to start May 15.
The Harveys indcated that Cape Lazo has just undergone major upgrades that included substantial brick fire pits at each campsite that were inspected by the fire department.
To read the entire story, click here.