Little Missouri Park Makes It Big in Knoxville
Big Creek RV Park made a big splash at the yearly National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds (ARVC) Outdoor Hospitality Conference & Expo (OHCE) last week in Knoxville, Tenn.
Owners Craig & Patty Claney took home the 2013 Plan-It Green award for small/medium park, as well as the 2013 Small Park of the Year runner-up, according to press releases.
There are more than 3,000 member parks in ARVC, and more than 80% of these parks are classified as small (100 sites or less) or medium (101-250) sites. Competition for these awards is fierce, and winning such awards can not only spotlight a park as a great place to camp, it can also show customers that the park goes the extra mile in areas such as customer service, amenities, activities, and eco-friendly practices.
Owner Patty Claney said, “It is such an honor to win either award, but to win both after building the park from the ground up and opening in March of 2009 is truly humbling. The response from our customers to our winning the awards has been so amazing! E-mails, phone calls, and Facebook messages of congratulations coming from so many has been amazing.”
The ARVC Plan-It Green award is given each year to one small/medium park and one large park and is based on the following (100 points possible):
• Park has converted to tankless water heaters (5)
• Park uses motion sensors for lighting in the bathrooms and club house (5)
• Park has switched to energy efficient light bulbs (5)
• Park uses non-toxic biodegradable cleaning products (5)
• Park uses water-saving shower heads and/or auto turn-off taps (5)
• Park provides recycle bins for cans, paper, glass and plastic (5)
• Park uses energy-saving products and appliances (5)
• Park offers eco-friendly and ‘Leave No Trace’ tips and education for guests(5)
• Park landscaping consists of wood chip, pebble, paved or grass paths (5)
• Park has "Reduce Water Usage" signage around the park (5)
• Park has one or more of the following: lighting, heaters and/or coolers with timers (5)
• Park uses solar power or wind power (5)
• Park uses low flush toilets or waterless urinals (5)
• Park participates in on-site organic composting (5)
• Park sends email confirmation rather than paper to minimize waste (5)
• Park uses geo-thermal heating/cooling (5)
• Park plants new trees frequently (5)
• Explain your commitment to Plan-It Green Friendly Park practices (15)
The criteria for the Park of the Year Award, which is given to a park in each of four categories (Small, Medium, Large, and Mega)—with a runner-up in each category, is much more intensive. There are four categories: Marketing/Public Relations (40 points possible), Operations/Management Skills (80 points possible), ARVC Involvement (10 points possible), and Commitment to Industry (10 points possible).
Within each category, there are specifics that relate not only involvement in ARVC and the Missouri Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds (MOARC), but also community involvement, emergency preparedness, and even use of social media. Parks must prove that they are truly outstanding in every way in order to be considered.
Big Creek RV Park LLC is a full-service Good Sam RV park with full hookups, cable TV, Wi-Fi Internet, pool, private air-conditioned/heated showers, laundry, arcade, meeting hall, propane fill station, and big-rig friendly sites. We are open year-round. Visit www.bigcreekrvpark.com for more information.