TVA Announces '14 Camping Dates
The Tennessee Valley Authority’s seasonal campgrounds will be opening for the 2014 recreation season on Friday, March 14, the Chattanoogan reported.
“TVA provides recreation opportunities across the Tennessee Valley region as part of our mission,” said Rebecca Tolene, TVA vice president of natural resources and real property services. “Regional tourism spending by visitors to TVA-managed recreation facilities and the hundreds of campgrounds and marinas run by commercial and public operators contribute significantly to local economies.”
TVA operates more than 80 public recreation areas, including campgrounds, day-use areas and boat ramps. The six campgrounds operated by TVA alone hosted about 45,000 overnight stays in 2013.
TVA-managed campgrounds that will open on March 14 and will remain open until Nov. 17 are:
• Cherokee Dam – Cherokee Reservoir in Jefferson City, Tenn.
• Douglas Dam Headwater – Douglas Reservoir near Sevierville, Tenn.
• Douglas Dam Tailwater – Douglas Reservoir near Sevierville, Tenn.
• Melton Hill Dam – Melton Hill Reservoir near Oak Ridge, Tenn.
• Pickwick Dam Tailwater – Pickwick Reservoir near Savannah, Tenn.
• Watauga Dam Tailwater – Watauga Reservoir near Elizabethton, Tenn.
The six TVA-operated campgrounds have a total of 355 campsites, all capable of accommodating tents and RVs. Each campground provides restrooms, potable water, showers, grills, picnic tables, dump stations, and nearby boating and fishing access. Most sites have electrical service, except for a few tent-only sites.
For the full story, click here.