GuestReviews Lists 2014 Grade-A Parks
Only 34 out of about 4,000 campgrounds, RV parks and resorts across America received all around ‘A’ ratings in GuestRated.com consumer surveys completed in 2014.
“If you do the math, that amounts to fewer than one in 100 campgrounds, RV parks and resorts receiving all around ‘A’ ratings in our consumer surveys,” said Bob MacKinnon, a former Disney Company executive who founded GuestRated.com, the nation’s most thorough online rating system for public and privately owned and operated campgrounds.
Indeed, while online surveys typically give consumers the ability to post their comments, most online survey forms ask consumers to rate only a few things, like value, location, cleanliness and service. GuestRated.com, by contrast, solicits consumer feedback on 55 different guest satisfaction questions in addition to providing consumers the ability to post written comments and suggestions.
“We drill down to specifics with our surveys,” MacKinnon said. “For example, we ask, ‘How clean were the showers compared to the toilet areas? Was the bathroom well stocked with supplies? What was the attitude of staff? Did staff have a professional appearance? Were they quick and efficient? How would you rate the safety and security of the park?’ ”
Ultimately, MacKinnon said, GuestRated.com aims not only to provide consumers with meaningful reviews that can help them identify the best campgrounds, but provide campground operators with letter grades covering every aspect of their park so that they know where to prioritize their improvements and create a better guest experience.
“Sometimes campgrounds have terrific facilities, but their staffing needs attention, or vice versa,” MacKinnon said. “Or maybe the park’s facilities and staffing are very good, but their reservation process needs attention. Our surveys help park operators zero in on the trouble spots that don’t show up in most online survey forms.”
In 2014, consumers filled out more than 30,000 surveys involving nearly 4,000 public and privately owned and operated campgrounds across the U.S.
But while the vast majority of the nation’s campgrounds do not receive overall “A” ratings, there are several across the country who have received overall “A” ratings several years in a row. Here is a listing of the latest “A” rated parks:
- Anaheim Resort RV Park, Anaheim, Calif., a four-time “A” grade winner, www.anaheimresortrvpark.com
- AtRivers Edge RV Resort, Brookings, Ore., a two-time “A” grade winner, www.atriversedge.com
- Beaver Dam Campground, Berwick, Maine, a three-time “A” grade winner, www.beaverdamcampground.com
- Buffalo Lake Camping Resort, Montello, Wis., a five-time “A” grade winner, www.buffalolakecamping.com
- Cherry Hill Park, College Park, Md., a six-time “A” grade winner, www.cherryhillpark.com
- Cross Creek Camping Resort, Delaware, Ohio, a three-time “A” grade winner, www.alumcreek.com/cccr/
- Custer State Park, Custer, S.D., a three-time “A” grade winner, http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/
- D & W Lake Camping and RV Park, Champaign, Ill., a five-time “A” grade winner, www.dwlake.com
- Far Horizons 49er Village RV Resort, Plymouth, Calif., a three-time “A” grade winner, www.49ervillage.com
- Geneseo Campground, Geneseo, Ill., a first-time “A” grade winner, www.campingfriend.com/geneseocampground/
- Hartford Beach State Park, Corona, S.D., a first-time “A” grade winner, http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/hartford-beach/
- Kalyumet Camping & Cabins, Lucinda, Pa., a four-time “A” grade winner, www.kalyumet.com
- Keen Lake Camping Resort, Waymart, Pa., a four-time “A” grade winner, www.keenlake.com
- Lake George RV Park, Lake George, N.Y., a seven-time “A” grade winner, www.lakegeorgervpark.com
- Lake Vermillion Recreation Area, Canistota, S.D., a two-time “A” grade winner, http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/lake-vermillion
- Las Vegas RV Resort, Las Vegas, Nev., a five-time “A” grade winner, www.lasvegasrvresort.com
- Leaf Verde RV Resort, Buckeye, Ariz., a two-time “A” grade winner, www.leafverde.com
- Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, Yankton, S.D., a two-time “A” grade winner, http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/lewis-and-clark
- Mountain Vista Campground, East Stroudsburg, Penn., a six-time “A” grade winner, www.mtnvistacampground.com
- Newton Hills State Park, Canton, S.D., a two-time “A” grade winner, http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/newton-hills
- Ocean Lakes Family Campground, Myrtle Beach, S.C, a six-time “A” grade winner, www.oceanlakes.com
- Pioneer Campground, Muncy Valley, Pa., a seven-time “A” grade winner, www.pioneercampground.com
- Pismo Coast Village RV Resort, Pismo Beach, Calif., a five-time “A” grade winner, www.pismocoastvillage.com
- Red Apple Campground, Kennebunkport, Maine, a six-time “A” grade winner, www.redapplecampground.com
- Shadow Hills RV Resort, Indio, Calif., a three-time “A” grade winner, www.shadowhillsrvresort.com
- Smuggler’s Den Campground, Southwest Harbor, Maine, a first-time “A” grade winner, www.smugglersdencampground.com
- Sunny Brook RV Resort, South Haven, Mich., a seven-time “A” grade winner, www.sunnybrookrvresort.com
- The Springs at Borrego RV Resort and Golf Course, Borrego Springs, Calif., a five-time “A” grade winner, www.springsatborrego.com
- The Vineyards Campground & Cabins, Grapevine, Texas, a seven-time “A” grade winner, www.vineyardscampground.com
- West Canada Creek Campsites, Poland, N.Y., a four-time “A” grade winner, www.westcanadacreekcampsites.com
- West Whitlock Recreation Area, Gettysburg, S.D., a first-time “A” grade winner, http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/west-whitlock
- Wine Country RV Resort, Paso Robles, Calif., a three-time “A” grade winner, www.winecountryrvresort.com
- Wishon Village RV Park, Shaver Lake, Calif., a four-time “A” grade winner, www.wishonvillage.com
- Yellowstone Holiday Campground, West Yellowstone, Mont., a four-time “A” grade winner, www.yellowstoneholiday.com
Former Walt Disney Co. executive Bob MacKinnon established GuestReviews services in 2007 as a way to help campgrounds measure guest satisfaction and prioritize improvements.
Consumers can submit online reviews for parks they have camped at by visiting GuestRated.com.
Review results are also widely promoted by various campground directory websites, including Camping.com, Campgrounds.com, Camp-California.com, NYCampgrounds.com, TexasCampgrounds.com, and GoCampingAmerica.com.