Top

KOA Owner Says Increased Tax Will Hurt Business

The sign in front of Forsyth KOA welcomes visitors to town as they drive by on I-75.

Ken Bowman, owner of Forsyth Kampgrounds of America (KOA) campground in Forsyth, Ga., told the Monroe County Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) board of directors on Sept. 26 that the city’s five percent hotel/motel tax puts his KOA at a disadvantage in attracting customers.

According to the Monroe County Reporter, the CVB has requested that the city raise the tax to 6%, which Bowman said will put him at that much more of a disadvantage with cost conscious travelers.

The hotel/motel tax funds the CVB, with 40% of the taxes collected going to the CVB and the other 60% going to the city. One of the hotel owners who is on the CVB board asked for the raise to give the CVB more funds for promoting the city to travelers.

He said that the 5% tax is one of the lowest in middle Georgia. CVB Executive Director Gilda Stanbery told the board that she is still putting together the packet of information for the request to the council.

Click here to read more on this story.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





Bottom