Top

Section Of ‘Mt. Hood’ Closed After Cougar Attack

September 14, 2018 by   - () Leave a Comment

A large section of Oregon’s Mount Hood National Forest has been closed to the public as officials begin hunting for a cougar blamed for killing a hiker last week, according to the Statesman Journal.

The closure area includes almost 30,000 acres and 14 hiking trails, mostly south of Zigzag and Government Camp in the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness.

Officials began hunting Thursday (Sept. 13) morning using mule teams and four trained dogs for the cougar blamed for killing 55-year-old Diana Bober, whose body was discovered along the Hunchback Trail on Monday.

No recent cougar sign such as tracks, scat or scratches was detected in the area, officials with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said in a news release.

Searchers also saw very few signs of cougar’s prey, like deer.

“It’s very important that we started our search at the site where Diana was found,” said Brian Wolfer, ODFW watershed manager who is leading the capture effort. “The cougar wasn’t there. Tomorrow we will expand our search into a new area.”

The closure will remain in place for 30 days but could be rescinded early or extended depending on circumstances of the hunt.

To read more on this story click here.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





Bottom