Sebago Lake State Park Campground – Maine’s most popular and largest state campground – will open today (April 13) for the season and Patriot’s Day Weekend, April 14-16, according to a Maine Department of Conservation press release.
The campground opening is about four weeks earlier than usual, according to officials with the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands, under the Maine Department of Conservation, the Bangor Daily News reported.
“Conditions are such that we have been able to turn on the campground water and get the bathrooms ready earlier than normal,” Ron Hunt, BPL regional manager, said Thursday. “We are looking forward to a full and busy season.”
With 125 sites, including RV hook-ups, the Witch Cove section of the campground will be opened, Hunt said. Off-season camping fees will be in effect and posted at the entrance station, he said.
Campground sites will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, Hunt said. No site reservations will be valid until May 21.
Campers are likely not to find reception staff at the campground booth, the regional manager said, adding that campers will have to confirm their own site use. Campers will calculate their own fees and then put the fee amount in the metal receptacle known as the “Iron Ranger,” Hunt said.
Park staff will be monitoring the campsites, Hunt said. A ranger and assistant ranger will confirm site use on a daily basis, he said.
The popular park has a new manager, Matt McGuire, who now is on duty along with other staff, Hunt said. McGuire is an experienced park manager who managed previously at Cobscook Bay and Rangeley Lake state parks.
For more information about Sebago Lake State Park, call the park at: (207) 693-6231. Callers can leave a voice message which will be answered.
From the Alva Review-Courier:
Two couples have taken a stab at quieting the talk about man-camps and created an RV park at Dacoma, 80 miles north of Oklahoma City. Sid and Evelyn Penner along with Ron and Marilyn Kinnard embarked on their new endeavor in October, and already spots are ready for the filling.
The Penners said the water lines, sewer lines, and electric lines are all brand new, and the hookups are all on individual lines. (Water is Alva city water.)
All lots are or soon will be graveled and sanded and are very level. A large storm shelter is available, and the park even pays for water, sewer, and trash removal. All sites are 30 and 50 amps, and currently there are 17 sites available. The couples said a total of 41 will be coming available soon. The lots are 25 feet by 70 feet and the monthly charge depends on the trailer size and air conditioners.
K&P RV Park is located at 11th Street and Appalachian in Dacoma.
For more information, call (580) 327-2487 or (580) 327-7206 or (580) 728-1487.
From Conroe Today:
The Texas Renaissance Festival has announced a 100-acre expansion to its overnight camping facilities with groundbreaking beginning early this year to accommodate the high demand of visitors seeking an entire weekend of lively spirits.
The campgrounds currently measure 70 acres for patrons and will more than double in size to a total of 170 acres, allowing for campers to have plenty of space to bring tents and other essentials onto the camping ground. The entire Texas Renaissance Festival facilities will grow to more than 600 acres with the addition, almost a complete square mile.
“We are really excited about expanding our campground expansion which will be complete in time 2012 season,” said Texas Renaissance Festival General Manager, Terre Albert. “We have seen such an increase in the number of campers over the past seven seasons that we wanted to make sure we could comfortably accommodate everyone for years to come.”
The campground will remain under the same rules; first come first serve and no reservations required. Camping will still cost $20 a ticket with purchase of festival tickets. The campgrounds will feature the Quickie Mart for ice, drinks and snacks and is open from 10 a.m. on Friday until 9 a.m. Monday.
The Texas Renaissance Festival will host opening weekend Oct. 6 and will be active on weekends through the Thanksgiving holiday on Nov. 25. Once again the festival will include eight themed weekends including Oktoberfest, Roman Bacchanal and the ever popular Barbarian Invasion.
Season tickets will go on sale starting March 1.
From The Associated Press:
Maine officials say they'll accept reservations for one of the state's most popular campgrounds, Sebago Lake State Park, later this week.
The Bureau of Parks and Lands reservation system will be open for Sebago reservations only on Wednesday (Feb. 1) and for all state park campgrounds at 9 a.m. Feb. 6.
The starting dates for online reservations are being split to reduce wait times for campers.
There will be no fee increase for sites at the state park campgrounds. Fees do vary from campground to campground, with the highest fees for non-residents who want sites with water and electricity hookups.
Campers can make reservations at Maine state campgrounds online at http://www.campwithme.com. They can also call state offices, mail in reservations or drop them off.
One week after tropical storm Irene plowed her way through Maine, Sebago Lake State Park looks a little different than it used to.
The park reopened on Friday (Sept. 2) after crews from across the state cleared a majority of fallen trees and debris in the campgrounds. But there's still a lot of work to be done, WCSH-TV, Portland, reported.
Songo Beach still has wood chip piles down the water line and cut up tree trunks lying where shadows used to be cast. Andy Haskell, the park manager, says there is much more sunshine in the park than there used to be.
"This may not be quite as pretty as it was before the storm, but it was open," Haskell said. "And actually, campers are helping out a lot too, because we didn't get a chance to rake every site, so they're raking and cleaning up sites and leaving it better than what they found it."
State crews have worked for over 1,000 hours over the past week to clean up the park.
Meanwhile, on Thursday (Sept. 1), a closure order was issued for all of the Green Mountain National Forest (GMNF), vydigger.org reported.
This closure was put in place to protect the public from hazards associated with damage from the recent storm. The closure will allow Forest Service personnel to have time to assess forest roads, trails, bridges, facilities and campgrounds over the holiday weekend. The GMNF and surrounding communities received widespread damage to roads, bridges and other infrastructure on Aug. 28.
In an effort to get the forest re-opened as quickly as possible, GMNF Forest Supervisor, Colleen Madrid has ordered additional personnel and resources from other eastern states.
The Maine Forest Service Incident Management Team (IMT), under the command of Regional Forest Ranger, Bill Hamilton, arrived on Sept. 1 to assist with recovery operations. The IMT will be using their experience managing all-risk incidents to coordinate the storm damage assessments and evaluate the risk of injury to Forest Service employees and future visitors.
In addition to the IMT, two separate 20-person wildfire crews have arrived from Massachusetts and West Virginia. These crews will be working to clear roads and remove brush in the coming days and weeks. Additional Forest Service Law Enforcement Officers will also be on the ground to support public safety efforts.